A brief chronicle of my new life in Michigan, focusing on the fact that I live in a converted factory loft building with several hundered other "young professionals." Yeah, it's a yuppie dorm.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

I *did* pay the rent...

I just got back from a week and a half in Bloomington, and a note taped to my apartment door greeted me with "we never got your August rent." And about 7 messages were on my answering machine telling me to call what I think are collection agencies -- not because I haven't paid anything, but because the person who had the phone number before me didn't pay something, or someone just used my phone number (it's easy to fake, and those that call never have my name or information connected to the number, so I'm pretty sure it is not identity theft.) I'm feeling a bit unduly persecuted here -- mostly because when I called the one collection agency that had Sunday hours, they said "no, we don't want you, and sorry for bothering you" and when I checked my online bank statement, I noted that my rent check had been cashed on the 3rd of August, eight days before the "we didn't get your rent" notice was sent.

Online access to banking records is a wonderful thing; first thing tomorrow morning I'm going down there with the printout of the check (front and back) and demand that it be cleared up, with no comment in my record. Or with a comment of apology.