A brief chronicle of my new life in Michigan, focusing on the fact that I live in a converted factory loft building with several hundered other "young professionals." Yeah, it's a yuppie dorm.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Just Finished Reading

Freakonomics. (S. J. Leavitt) VERY GOOD. It will make you look at the world differently. I know - cliche; however, Leavitt's goal is to use economic strategies to look at what are essentially sociological issues. And it works. I especially liked the "why drug dealers live with their mothers" analysis of the corporate structure of the inner-city drug business, and his analysis of the effect of environment and parents on student success in school.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. (J. K. Rowling) Quite good, and no, I'm not going to comment on the plot--you'll just have to read it. What I particularly enjoyed was Rowling's use and manipulation of your expectations of "usual" (based on her previous books' formulae) and her homage to Tolkein near the end. And that's all I'm going to say.